Search

Culinary Chronicles: Road through Culinary school, foods I like, recipes and more!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pot Roast While Pensive..

     Good evening!  I hope you all find yourselves well.  As I write I'm realizing it's been months since I've posted and that makes me feel terrible.  I'd like to promise I'll do better, but I've done that in the past and ...well... you know.   Maybe I should change the blog name to "The lazy blogger"?  Thing is it hasn't been laziness, I think I lost the gusto for writing a while there.  It's taken me some time to recover from my failure, but I have to face the world sooner or later I realize that.  Since I came back to Florida, I must have had enough thoughts in my head for myself and a few others.  I've been so pensive, dwelling on things from the past, thinking about the future.  Dating or trying to is still a big issue, I think I scare guys away.  Some say just be myself (I always am) if he accepts me as I am, he's a keeper...not so easy...

     So whilst in my pensive state on the bus, in the shower, watching t.v., walking or just laying in bed, the notion that feeling the way I do should produce a recipe to blog about interrupted.  The thing about thinking is... it's not doing, is thinking a verb?  I forget.  If thinking is an action nothing can come of it unless you put your thoughts into motion, I like that...  I'm a writer, I'm a chef, I own that and as of this morning, I will no longer dwell on the past.  I've made my way out of the paralyzing grip failure took on me and have decided to move forward and one day try again, because it's my dream and nothing should ever deter a person from continuing to make their dreams come true.

     I managed to veer my thoughts in the direction of comfort food, why?  Well..because I needed comforting...
Nothing but nothing eases my mind and brings me home better than pot roast.  I give to all of you who find yourselves in need of comfort my unfaultering recipe for pot roast that will magically shut your eyes and make you say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home"  That sounds familiar..
Enjoy!
POT ROAST

4 pound bottom round roast
1 small bag of baby carrots
4 celery stalks cut into five pieces each
1 16 ounce can of diced stewed  tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
2 tablespoons of onion powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon of pepper
2  tablespoons of oil
water to cover roast 

     Put a large pot to heat up.   While it's heating season' the roast with salt and pepper  Once the pot is hot add the oil and let it heat.  When the oil is hot add the roast and brown it on all sides.    Add stewed tomatoes then add enough water to cover the roast.  Let the liquid come to a simmer.  Add the tomato paste and stir.  Now add the onion powder, pepper and a little salt, carrots and celery.   I don't like adding too much salt at the beginning stage, so maybe a pinch to start.  Once you have a good simmer going, you can rest, turn down the heat to low and place lid on pot.  Low and slow baby, low and slow.   You're going to let her simmer on low covered for 3 hours stove top.  You'll know it's ready when the meat is so tender, you don't have to work to cut it.  What I like to do once the roast is ready, is remove it from the sauce, season the sauce and thicken if necessary, slice the meat and return it to the pot.  Let it sit off the heat for a few minutes so the flavors penetrate the meat, then serve up some comfort.  

           
 
  
  

No comments: